Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hasta la Victoria!

One of the reasons I’m so in love with this city is the fusion of politics and political awareness with daily life. Whether you live here or are just visiting, you cannot avoid taking notice and taking part in political discourse or even a protest or two, as strikes and rallies are pretty much a daily occurrence.

One of the most obvious indicators of political activity, aside from the protests, is the graffiti. Every time I walk around, I’m constantly tempted to pull out my camera and document the incredibly cleverness and tongue-in-cheek commentary of street artists in this city. A lot of the graffiti is similar to that of the states but a lot are murals depicting symbols of urban life and even more are political statements, either for or against the current government, global leaders, aspects of society or pieces of Argentine and world history.


Representation of wars... the entire thing is incredibly moving.


"I don't want your catcalls. I want your respect."


"More than 30.000 reasons for popular justice" - A reference to the
30,000 people killed and disappeared during the Argentine Dirty War
of the 70s and 80s


"They have it all... we have the night."


"They come for the water"


"The plants do not sin."


"Non-violence is force"


"Deposit your vote here. Your vote is an alibi - abstain and fight."


"NO to the militarization of Latin America"


"With political prisoners, there is no democracy"


"My life has value, my body no price."



Note the signs above the graffiti. They're political posters for the
worker's party that talk about the faults of capitalism in
causing the economic crisis and hunger in Argentina.



Today is a good day for this post because today is election day in Argentina. Because voting is mandatory in Argentina, the city is absolutely shut down today. Last night, everyone had to quit selling alcohol at 2 a.m. - super early for a town that parties until 8 in the morning. Certain businesses have to shut down for the day, like theaters and bars, and no one can sell alcohol. They don’t want any drunken or distracted voters!

Today’s elections are for provincial positions and congressional spots. Argentina’s congress is set up based on proportional representation, which means that aside from provincial offices, you simply vote for a party rather than individual congressional candidates. Then the party gets a number of congressional spots based on the percentage of the votes they receive and the senators are picked based on party rankings.

Earlier this week, Charlotte and I went to watch a campaign rally for the incumbent party, lead by Nestor Kirchner, ex-president of Argentina and husband of current President, Cristina Kirchner. It was awesome - soooo much energy and excitement. There were tons of homemade flags and banners, they sang songs about the Kirchners, Eva Peron and rights for the working people… It was absolutely amazing.


War veterans



SOOOO many people!







I sometimes wonder if the demonstrations, signs, graffiti and the like have lost a bit of their effectiveness because of the desensitization that comes along with such prevalence. Even so, as a fresh viewer, I still find them extremely exciting. I love that the people here are so motivated to enact change and truly believe in the power of collective action.

Maybe I’ll start daily protests when I get back home. I’ll have to come up with some more causes though… and probably find more people.

2 comments:

  1. I'll join you!! um you need to print all those awesome pics you took of random graffiti. I think when we get back we shall do indie picture printing and make cool colages.. maybe thats just me.. love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nina! good post!

    ReplyDelete