Sunday, April 11, 2010

Breakin Baby!

Ok... I know. It's been over three weeks. And I don't have much of an excuse, other than that until last week I didn't have a whole lot to say... life has taken on a bit of a routine. But don't worry, I am still alive (not kidnapped and far away from the earthquakes)!

So last week, I FINALLY got my spring break! (After following all of my friends’ spring break statuses on facebook while studying for exams…) Not that my academic life here is all that difficult- it definitely pales in comparison to an average Southwestern course load…

Anyways, it was an awesome week! One of my best friends from Southwestern came down to visit and we headed south to the state of Chiapas, on the border with Guatemala. Chiapas has some of the most stunning nature of the country, with jungles, lakes, mountains and waterfalls.






These are all from Cañon de Sumidero, a beautiful canon that we saw from above but also from a boat tour.

Crocodiles!!



Waterfalls at the Cascadas de Chiflon



Lagos de Montebello, one of the prettiest places I've ever been. The water was insanely blue.

Diana and I on another boat tour, this one cooler because we had to help paddle! And we got to tan at the same time :)

While Chiapas is blessed with beautiful nature, natural resources and steeped in cultural heritage with tons of indigenous communities still in tact, it suffers from staggering poverty, the reason for the Zapatista uprising in the state in 1994.




This contradiction is incredibly evident in San Cristobal de las Casas, where all these pictures are from. There are more beggars and street vendors than anywhere else I've been and the majority are obviously indigenous.

But, back in the city, some of you might know that I’m living with a host family here in the Distrito Federal… and while they sometimes are a little… ehm… unique… one of the plus sides is that my “Señor” was a professional photographer back in the day and helps feed my obsession by lending me his cameras! Here a smattering of photos I took a few weeks ago in Coyoacan, a colonial neighborhood of the City.






Also, lately, I’ve been spending a lot of time learning to be a travel agent since MY PARENTS ARE COMING THIS WEEK!! Look forward to that blog edition :) I know I am!!

No comments:

Post a Comment