Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Nice to meet you, Mexico City!

Bienvinidos!!

I arrived safely in Mexico City Saturday afternoon! There were only a few minor complications (like getting lost on the way to my house for the first time- apparently here, it’s no big deal to stop in the middle of the street to ask directions). But once I settled into my new home, I found my new host family very friendly… and talkative. Dang, they’ve got a lot of stories to tell. They’ve been hosting students at their house for almost seven years now! So, I’m nothing too special. But at least they know what’s going down.

The first few days were pretty slow, with very little to report. I started orientation Monday - I’m one of only THREE people from the U.S. The majority of the exchange students are from France. Some are from other cities in Mexico and a few are from other parts of Europe. It’s funny listening to everyone’s accent… IN SPANISH.

Yesterday we ventured to El Centro, the oldest part of the city, where we toured the Mexican Muralist exhibit at the Palacio de Bellas Artes. Mural painting is an art form with monumental historical relevance in Mexico. After the revolution, in the 40’s and 50’s, painters like Diego Rivera, José Orozco and David Siqueiros used murals, often depicting scenes or figures from Mexican history with overt political messages as a way to bring art and history to the mostly illiterate public. I couldn’t take pictures of them but it was really cool to see the murals from my history books up close, with an awesome tour guide that gave us the background of each piece and explained their significance, both historically and artistically.

Outside the Palacio


The building is as much a work of art as the pieces displayed.



Today we went to Coyoacán, a really cool part of the city, to see two museums - El Museo Anahuacalli, which is a really cool building designed by Diego Rivera that houses his collection of pre-Columbian art, and then La Casa de Frida Kahlo, the house that she and Rivera lived in. The second was my favorite. Super cool with awesome bright colors and tons of art by both of them. They were such an interesting couple… I just can’t get tired of them.

The view from the top of Anahuacalli. The city goes on FOREVER, I swear.


A giant altar to Diego


The courtyard of Frida and Diego's house... and a stray cat.



The market where we ate lunch. They serve brain and stomach at this quesadilla stand. And no, I didn't try it.


There’s lots more cool stuff on the plate this week. And eventually I’ll figure out my class situation too. It’s a little complicated trying to take a variety of courses here but I will succeed… eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment