Sunday, January 17, 2010

Week one: Check!

So the rest of my week of touristyness continued on a similarly fun and interesting path. Thursday we went to a really interesting museum, The Museum of Popular Art, that focuses on folk art, from pre-hispanic to modern. Popular art is something I’ve always been especially interested in and is something I might decide to write my thesis on next year. I love the idea of art as a form of public expression, a way to give voice to those that might not get heard through other mediums, and as a true expression of popular culture. Plus it’s just super cool and colorful!




Yesterday we visited the pyramids at Teotihuacan and the Basilica of the Virgin of Guadalupe, both sites with monumental historical importance. Teotihuacan was founded around 100B.C. and by the Olmecs but abandoned for unknown reasons about 800 years later. At it’s peak, it housed around 200,000 people and was the biggest city in the world of its time. Later, the city was rediscovered by both the Aztecs and Toltecs and used for their own religious purposes and it was then that it was named Teotihuacan- “City of the Gods.





The Basilica of the Virgin of Guadalupe is also extremely important to the history of Mexico and even to the success of the Spanish conquest. One of the biggest differences between Imperial Spain and Imperial France and Britain is how they chose to colonize their portion of the new world. The Spanish tried to integrate indigenous cultures into their New World by making them into proper Spaniards. One of their mechanisms of conversion was Catholicism and one of the most vital components to conversion was the Virgin of Guadalupe. The story goes that the Virgin appeared to Juan Diego, an indigenous boy, living in what is now Mexico City, during the 1500s and when he returned to the village, her image had appeared on the back of his cloak. La Virgin is great example of religious syncretism as she had dark skin and incorporated elements of the Aztec goddess of fertility, making it extremely easy for the indigenous converts to identify with her and therefore identify with their new Catholic religion. Juan Diego’s cloak is now on display in the newest of the three Basilicas built to her on that spot, where thousands of faithful make a religious pilgrimage every day.



Okay, that’s enough of a history lesson for today. On a lighter note, my host family continues to be really funny. My new abuela loves ABBA and has listened to the Mamma Mia soundtrack twice already this morning. Now she’s listening to the Sound of Music. They also simply cannot accept the fact that I have no ability to roll my r’s. I think I was born with an abnormal tongue. But they are so sweet and helpful. And because my abuelo was a professional photographer back in the day, I get a discount on developing my film at a shop close by!

I start classes tomorrow morning. AHH! I’m super nervous! So wish me luck…

2 comments:

  1. Paige...te echo de menos y tengo celos de tus experiencias mexicanas!! ¡Entonces, siempre voy a leer tu blog para vivir a través de ti! (P.S. ¿Has visto mi foto de perfil de Blogger? Fue tomado en Teotihuacan!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay para leyendo mi blog! Teotihuacan es tan bonito... como tu! Te extrano tambien!

    ReplyDelete